This course will include a case-based approach to presenting ocular pain conditions with a focus on non-traumatic, non-infectious etiologies. Included will be a discussion of some of the latest recommendations for oral and topical pain management. Additionally, the course reviews the use of several specific pain medications, their indications, and associated risks.
- 1. Recognize diverse non-traumatic, non-infectious conditions of the anterior and posterior segment that are likely to result in ocular pain.
- 2. Distinguish between different ocular conditions associated with pain that may require additional testing or referral due to systemic associations.
- 3. Discuss various management options, including topical and oral medication considerations, for specific conditions that have ocular pain implications.
- 4. Determine appropriate treatment protocols for inflammation and pain in patients with ocular complaints.
- 5. Recognize some characteristics of patients at risk for complications associated with oral pain management.