In the ever-changing dynamic world of healthcare, impact from the exponential growth of artificial intelligence (AI) over the past decade is slated to make it an immediate and long-term opportunity and challenge in eye care. This presentation will provide a historical overview of the origins of AI, how it works, and how it is projected to change the way eye care is provided. In addition, several studies highlighting the efficacy and shortcomings of AI will be discussed as well as the possible effects of AI on reimbursement. The goal of this course is for the practitioner to understand current and emerging technologies in eye care that will impact the delivery of patient care.
- 1) Understand the background and historical origins of AI and summarize AI technology and algorithms within the context of machine learning
- 2) Identify the strengths and limitations of AI utilization in health care
- 3) Describe utilization of AI in the delivery of care in patient disease detection, diagnosis, treatment and management
- 4) Compare the utilization of AI in aiding with office-based patient assessment versus remote telemedicine care
- 5) Summarize the advantage of AI in standardization metadata analysis and calculation