A wide spectrum of posterior segment diseases are associated with systemic conditions. These range from disorders of the blood, metabolic and cardiovascular in nature to infectious, inflammatory and auto-immune syndromes. This lecture demonstrates a number of posterior segment diseases and their indicated laboratory tests for confirmation of the diagnosis and aid in proper management of the patient.
*Qualifies for CPOC renewal*
- 1) To identify the basic principles of clinical relevance for laboratory testing for posterior segment disease
- 2) To classify an order for systemic diseases with posterior segment complications
- 3) To describe signs and symptoms of posterior segment disease caused by various systemic conditions
- 4) To explain proper selection of relevant laboratory tests for various posterior segment disease
- 5) To review the relevance of abnormal laboratory findings in management of posterior segment disease